Bronchial tubes are the passageway into the lungs , carries air to and from the lungs and inflammation of bronchial tubes is called as bronchitis which results into cough and breathing problem.
It is of two types –
- Acute bronchitis
- Chronic bronchitis
Acute bronchitis is an illness for short period . It usually lasts for few days to fewnweeks. It can be due to bacterial or viral infection but most commonly the cause is viral infection in 90% cases and rest are due to bacterial infection.
CAUSES OF ACUTE BRONCHITIS
- Viral infection
- By direct contact with person suffering from viral infection.
- Due to dust
- Due to allergy
- Air Pollution
- Bacterial infection due to bordetella pertusis and mycoplasma pneumonia
SYMPTOMS OF ACUTE BRONCHITIS
- Mucus may or may not be produced
- Shortness of breath
- Wheezing sound
- Chest discomfort
Chronic bronchitis is a condition where there is persistent cough with mucus for at least three months of the year for two or more consecutive years. People having chronic bronchitis suffer from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) .
CAUSES OF CHRONIC BRONCHITIS
- Smoking is the most common reason
- Atmospheric pollution – incidence higher is urban areas
- Occupational – workers engaged in coal mills , plastic factories , coal mines are highly at risk of developing bronchitis due to constant exposure to the polluted environment
- Viral or bacterial infection
- Genetic factors
SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC BRONCHITIS
- Persistent cough which get worse in morning and winter season
- Yellow , green , blood streaked sputum
- Recurrent infection
- Highly sensitive to any smell
- Dyspnoea (shortness of breath )
- Cyanosis (bluishness )due to less oxygen
- Peripheral oedema (swelling on legs and feet)
- Prolonged expiration
BRONCHITIS IN AYURVEDA
In ayurveda , it is mentioned under shwasa roga (respiratory disease ) which mainly affects pranvah srotsa (respiratory cahnnel) .
As per ayurveda , shwasa rog is mainly due to vata and kapha dosha vitiation .
Vata and kapha aggravating factors :
- Intake of cold , dry food
- Excess intake of rajmah , black gram , mash daal .
- Intake of cold water
- Exposure to cold climate
- Exposure to dust , smoke
- Suppressing natural urges
- Intake of heavy food
- Sleeping during day time
- Eat food over undigested food
These all factors will aggravate vata and kapha where vata will dry the pranvah srotas (respiratory channel ) which will initially produce cough , and kapha will cause mucus production , blockage of channel and heaviness in chest . kapha will also cause agnimandya ( lowering of digestive fire power ) .this whole phenomena then leads to development of shwas roga.
HOME REMEDIES FOR BRONCHITIS
- Avoid cold water instead drink luke warm water
- Avoid curd , lassi , pickles.
- Use ginger and honey
- Luke warm haldi milk
- Avoid exposure to cold and polluted environment
- Steam inhalation
- Add tulsi leaves , ginger or kaali mirch in tea
- Consume wheat , moong daal ( greengram) ,barley (yava) , patola.
- Avoid consuming rice , masha and other heavy food items
- do massage on chest and back with ghee mixed with sendha namak (Epsom salt) .
- avoid fruits like banana
- do not suppress natural urges
- avoid sleeping during day time
- do yoga and pranayam(breathing exercises ) to imrove lung capacity
- avoid smoking
- heavy exercises to be avoided
TREATEMENT IN AYURVEDA
- massage is done using ghee and sendha namak on chest it helps in melting kapha and removes mucus
- virechan ( enema ) is indicated by using herbal drugs.
Herbal drugs beneficial in bronchitis:
- Pippali – it is beneficial in cough related problems , it is having anti-inflammatory property and helps in reducing inflammation , beneficial in treating chronic bronchitis , due to its hot potency it helps in balancing vata and kapha dosha. It also has deepan ( digestive fire igniting property) property so reduces ama (toxins) in body and reduces production of mucus.
- Mirch – known as black pepper , helps in quitting smoking , stimulates appetite , it is effective in reducing mucus production .
- Shunthi – it is effective in treating respiratory disorder , having anti – inflammatory action , pacifies vata , having deepan property improves appetite.
- Turmeric – it is an effective immunity booster , helpful in treating cold and cough , it has anti –inflammatory action , rich in anti-oxidant remove toxins from the body , helpful in reducing symptoms of bronchitis.
- Tulsi –it removes phlegm from bronchial tubes , effective in treating cold , cough , influenza , bronchitis. Having good anti-inflammatory action and provide relief from inflammatory symptoms.
- Guduchi – it is protective herb towards infection and boost immunity , rich in anti –inflammatory property and anti-oxidants , balances all three dosha , helps in bringing down fever , has good anti-viral property effective in cold , cough , influenza , bronchitis like conditions .
- Haritaki – it has good anti-inflammatory action , rich in anti-oxidants , helps in pacifying vata dosha , having agni deepan property reduces ama (toxins) fin the body.
It helps in reducing congestion and provide immunity against viral and bacterial agents which affects respiratory system.
So this was the basic treatment in ayurveda which effectively treats bronchitis from its root cause without any side effects .
All these drugs mentioned above are formulated into different formulations in the form of syrups , decoction , tablets or powder.
We also provide treatment for bronchitis which includes yoga , meditation therapy , panchkarma therapy and medicines . our medicinal product for bronchitis is
Bronchitis Healer Kit
Our Price : $65/-