Psychosis is a medical condition in which brain functioning is altered , person loses contact with the reality believing in untrue things and develop hallucinations .Psychosis is not a disorder it is the symptom of many psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia.
CAUSES OF PSYCHOSIS
Exact cause of psychosis is still not known but some of the risk factors are –
- Genetic factor
- Emotional or physical Trauma
- Accidental Injuries
- Using certain drugs
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Brain tumors
All these are the risk factors responsible for developing psychosis.
SYMPTOMS OF PHYCHOSIS
- Mood swings
- Sleeping too much
- Not sleeping at all
- Disconnected from family and friends
- Talking alone
- Suicidal actions
- Impaired speech
- Loss of judgement
These are few of the symptoms of psychosis , out of which two are very commonly seen that is hallucination and delusion.
WHAT ARE HALLUCINATIONS ?
Hallucinations are just n sensory perception that appears to be real but does not actually present. It affect all the five senses For example , voices can be heard even when there is nobody around or you might see the person who actually don’t exist or feel somebody’s touch even when nobody is touching.Hallucinations can be caused by certain medication , improper sleep , migraine , seizures , deafness , vision problems , social isolation , high fever or due to any serious mental illness.
WHAT IS DELUSION ?
Delusion is the condition of believing something non-real ,for example , person develop thoughts like somebody wants to kill him when actually nothing is like that.Symptoms of delusion include irritability , anger , anxiety , depression , fear etc,
AYURVEDA POINT OF VIEW FOR PSYCHOSIS
According to ayurveda , human mind is having three states that is satva , rajas ,tamas. Each state of mind plays very important role is reflecting brain health of an individual.
- satva state of mind has the best memory and learning ability , the person who is satvik is courageous ,intelligent and has stable mind .These people are less prone to suffer from psychosis .
- Rajas is state of mind in which the person is greedy , attached too much , angry , anxious and impatient .They are somewhat prone to develop pyschosis.
- Tamas is the state of mind which tends to develope delusions , poor memory , slow and difficulty in performing tasks .people in this state of mind are highly prone to suffer from psychosis .
Also in ayurveda , psychosis is correlated with unmade (insanity) , which is due to aggravation all three dosha that is vata , pitta and kapha but mainly vata dosha is involved.
Due to false dietary habit and karma (false activities) , vata dosha is aggravated , then vata passes from majja dhatu to manovah srotas (channels connecting brain )causing delusions and hallucination.
False dietary habits like –
- eating vata dominant food items like dry vegetables , pulses , fruits .
- eating rajasik and tamasik food items like spices , excess sugar , sour and salt intake.
- Eating non-veg in excess increases tamasik state of mind.
False karma –
- insulting guru , Brahman , dev etc,.
These factors aggravates vata dosha .
SYMPTOMS OF UNMADA
- dhivi bhram – intellectual confusion
- satvapariplavshch –fickleness of mind
- paryakula – impatient
- irrelivent speech
- loses peace
- sluggishness of speech
MANAGEMENT FOR PSYCHOSIS
- Family should be very supportive , it is important for them to emphasize pleasant activities to keep the patient happy.
- Patient must stop driving
- Kitchen , bathroom and bedrooms need to be made safe for the patient.
- Communication is important
- Limit alcohol
TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA
Healthy diet and lifestyle –diet is very important factor to maintain normal brain functioning and it is necessary for the patients to follow good healthy diet and lifestyle
- include more green vegetables and fruits in diet
- avoid spicy , salty and oily food in excess.
- Nuts (almonds , walnuts etc) are good for brain health.
- Avoid junk food
- Avoid vata increasing food items
- Include exercise in daily routine
- Sleep on proper time
- Do not stop natural urges
- Do yoga practice and meditation
It is one of the very important part of ayurvedic treatment , panchkarma therapy removes toxins from the body .
- Vaman (by inducing vomiting using herbal medicines)
- Virechna ( purgation therapy using herbal medicines)
- Nasya (nasa drops) – teekshan nasya
These procedures can be done in treatment of psychiatric disorderOther panchkarma activities like shiro dhara , shiro pichu , and shiro basti , can also be done and are effective in treating psychiatric disorders.
- Brahmi – it is one best known drug in treating neural disorders ,rich in anti-oxidants and having potential to prevent degeneration of brain cells , it increases memory and learning ability of the person , found effective in treating Alzheimer disease, insomnia , epilepsy and other neurogenic disorders.
- Vacha – it is rich in anti-oxidants , having neuroprotective function , prevent degeneration of brain cells and improve brain functioning.
- Ashwagandha –it is known as nervine tonic , has brain calming effect , reduces stress and increases concentration power , it is having regenerative property .
- Shankpushpi – one of the common plant in India used as nervine tonic for improvement in memory and other cognitive functions , it calms the nerves by regulating stress hormone production in the body . possess anti-oxidant property as well.
- Jyotishmati- it having brain sharpening property , improves concentration , improves memory and rich in anti-oxidants.
- Jatamansi – it is having powerful anti-oxidant property and having property that increases learning and useful restoring memory in old persons and those suffering from dementia , delusions .
- Hingu – it is rich in anti-oxidants , helps to stimulate nervous system disorders like seizures and convulsions , it reduces headache , stress . it is also used as antidote for opium-induced hallucinations . It also pacifies vata and kapha dosha ,
These were the few of herbal drugs which can be used in management of psychosis and these drugs can be taken in any form either in the form of nasya (nasal drop) or in the form of decoction , tablets etc.
All the steps from dietary habit changes to medicinal treatment plays very important role in treating psychosis patient and has a very positive feedback.
We also provide treatment for psychosis which includes yoga meditation , panchkarma therapy and medication. For medication we provide two products MIND-CALM and AZ-CALM which has the composition of above mentioned drugs and other herbal drugs effective in treating psychosis. For more information
Psychosis Healer Kit :
Our Price : $95/-