Infertility is defined as failure to conceive within one or more years of regular unprotected coitus. Tubal blockage is one of the most important factors for female infertility.
- This condition is not described in Ayurvedic classics, as the fallopian tube itself is not mentioned directly there. Correlating fallopian tubes with the Artavavaha(Artava-bija-vaha) Srotas, its block is compared with the Sanga Srotodushti of this Srotas.
- Infertility is a global problem in the field of reproductive health. It affects approximately 10-15% of reproductive couples. Among responsible factors of Female infertility, the tubal blockage is the 2nd highest affecting around 25-35% of population and difficult to treat.
- Peri-tubal adhesions, previous tubal surgery, salpingitis etc are the common causes of tubal blockage.
Ayurveda has explained Vandyatva as equivalent for infertility. According to Harita, Vandhyatva is failure to get a child rather than conception.
He has described six types of Vandhyatva.
- Kakavandhya (one child sterility)
- Anapatyata (primary infertility)
- Garbhasravi (recurrent abortion)
- Mritavatsa (stillbirth)
- Balakshaya (loss of strength)
- Vandhya due to Balya avastha, Garbhakosha bhanga and Dhatukshaya.
- In Ayurveda, fallopian tube blockage can be better correlated with Artava–bijavaha Srotorodha (obstruction in fallopian tube).
- Vata–kapha Doshas are the prime causative factor in tubal blockage.
- Sankocha produced by vitiated Vata dosa due to its Ruksha (dryness), Khara (rough) and Darana guna (tearing).
- Sthira (stable), Mantha (slow) property of vitiated Kapha dosa result Sanga–srotodushiti (obstruction due to stagnation) in Arthava vaha srotas.
- This ultimately leads to Vandhyatwa (infertility).
- Hence, the treatment principle should be pacifying Vata –kapha dosa, Vata anulomana, Deepana pachana etc.
Ayurveda offers natural treatment for blocked fallopian tubes. It includes diet and lifestyle modification along with herbal medicines and certain Ayurvedic therapies.
IMPROVE YOUR DIET
- Consume food rich in vitamin C as it reduces inflammation and enhances immunity. It helps in healing the scars and thus removes the tubal blockage.
- Ginger is helpful in boosting fertility and unblocking the tubes. It’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant nature helps in opening the blocked tubes.
- Garlic in moderation improves fertility and apart from this has other health benefits as well.
- Turmeric we all know is a natural anti-inflammatory. It is suggested not to take turmeric beyond specific dosage as it may have adverse effect.
- Consume variety of fruits and vegetables and remain hydrated
- Reduce your alcohol intake to improve your fertility and overall health.
- Exercise in daily routine can enhance fertility.
- Yoga is beneficial in tubal blockage as some of the yoga poses stretches the pelvic muscles, improves the chances of conception and is recommended for tubal blockage.
- Stress is the main cause of infertility. Even if there is possibility of conceiving the stress factor may prevent it. It is scientifically proved that meditation helps to reduce stress and improve fertility
- Panchakarma has a wonder effect in Ayurveda. It is a detoxification therapy that eliminates the toxins out of the body.
- Fertility massage with warm castor oil helps in unblocking the tubes. The massage is done on the abdominal area.
- Basti karma along with snehana and tarpana helps in opening the blocked fallopian tube. Uttara basti is the treatment of choice for blocked fallopian tubes. The method works for all gynecological disorders. The medicated oil/ghee or decoction is administered through the urethra or vaginal route.
- Some of the herbs such as Shatavari, Lodhra, Ashoka, Kumari, Phala Ghritam etc treats female infertility due to tubal blockage.
- Sukumara kashaya can be given to achieve Deepana and Pachana (digestive and carminative), Vatanulomana (normal movement of Vata).
- Udwartana (upward massage with powdered drugs) which is Vatahara as well as Kapha medo vilayana, thereby helps to clear the Sroto rodhato some extent.
- Sukumara ghrita is used for internal Snehapana (consumption of fat) purpose.
- Avagaha sweda can be selected to pacify Apana Vata vitiation and thereby improves blood supply to pelvic region. It also helps to loosen the tight and tense muscle tissues in pelvis.
- Virechana (purgation) can be done with Hingu triguna taila since it was found to be Vata-kapha samaka, Srotosodhana (purification of channels), Deepana, Sukshma (subtle), Teekshna (sharp), Ushna Veerya (hot potency) with Vata anulomana
- Vasti (enema) has multidimensional properties, they are Lekhana(scrape off) Rasayana (rejuvenate),Sroto sanganasaka(removes obstruction in channels), Vata anulomana leads to detoxification of body.
Tubal blockage is one of the important causes of female infertility. In contemporary medicine, management includes hormonal correction, ovulation induction and ART (Artificial Reproductive Techniques). Most of the patients with infertility due to tubal blockage end up with IVF (In vitro Fertilization) management. Ayurveda aims to enhance the proper functioning of reproductive system by providing natural and effective medicines. Srothorodha (obstruction) in the Artava vaha srotas(fallopian tube) can eliminated by proper Shaman (palliative) and Sodhana (purification) therapy which results expeditious conception by patient.