Giving Your Health a New Lift
BHRAMARI PRANAYAM (Humming Bee Breath)
- Sit in a comfortable meditation posture. The spinal cord should be erect, the hand straight and the hands resting on the knees in chin or jnana mudra.
- The ideal posture for this practice is padmasana or siddha/siddha yoni asana.
- The position of nadanusandhana asana, which is used in nada yoga, may also be utilized as follows. sit on a rolled blanket with the heels drawn up to the buttocks. Place the feet flat on the floor with the knees raised and the elbows resting on the knees.
- Close the eyes and relax the whole body for a short time.
- The lips should remain gently closed with the teeth slightly separated throughout the practice. This allows the sound vibration to be heard and felt more distinctly in the brain.
- raise the arms sideways and bend the elbow, bring the hands to the ears. Use the index or middle finger to plug the ears. The flaps of the ears may be pressed without inserting the fingers.
- If the position of nadanusandhana has been assumed, plug the ears with the thumbs, resting the other four fingers on the head.
- Bring the awareness to the center of the head, where ajna chakra is located, and keep the body absolutely still.
- Breathe in through the nose. exhale slowly and in a controlled manner while making a deep, steady humming sound like that of the black bee.
- The humming sound should be smooth, even and continuous for the duration of the exhalation.
- The sound should be soft and mellow, making the front of the skull reverberate. This is one round.
- At the end of exhalation, breathe in deeply and repeat the process.
- Perform 5 rounds.
5 to 10 rounds are sufficient in the beginning, then slowly increase to 10 to 15 minutes. In cases of extreme mental tension or anxiety, or when used to assist the healing process, practice for up to 30 minutes.
- Physical-On the humming sound within the head and on making the breath steady and even.
- Spiritual-On ajna chakra.
- Bharamari relieves stress and cerebral tension, alleviating anger, anxiety and insomnia , and reducing blood pressure.
- It speeds up the healing of body tissues and may be practiced after operations.
- It strengthens and improves the voice and eliminates throat ailments.