Bipolar is a disease associated with frequent episodes of mood swings where a person suddenly feels euphoric and then depressed.it is also known as a manic depressive illness that causes unusual shifts in mood and ability to carry out day-to-day tasks.
People having bipolar disorder have two poles of mood which is why it is called bipolar.it mostly occurs at a young age and rarely affects people after their forties. both males and females are equally affected.
According to Ayurveda bipolar disorder occurs due to vitiation of physical dosha Vata, pitta, Kapha, and mental dosha sattva, rajas tamas. In this disorder, the person is prone to low Ojas( immunity) and Vata imbalance as the vata is responsible for the well functioning of the nervous system. In Ayurveda text it is described as unmade that is insanity which affects behavior, intelligence, mind, and performance.
Bipolar disorder’s actual cause is unknown but may be caused due to the following reasons:
- Genetic factor
- Neurotransmitter imbalance such as dopamine and glutamate
- Neurological disorder
- Anti-depressant medication
- Sleep deprivation
- Seasonal changes
- Peer pressure
- Heart disease
- Thyroid disease
As per ayurveda, casuses are explained in context of vata imbalance majorly along with imbalance of other doshas. It is explained that over excitement is due to aggravation of vata dosha and depression is due to aggravation of pitta dosha.
REASON WHICH AGGRAVATES VATA
- Eating dry and cold food articles
- Intake of yava in excess
- Excessive intake of katu , tikta rasa
- Suppressing natural urges
- Excessive workout
- Night awakening
REASON WHICH AGGRAVATES PITTA
- Eating hot and spicy food articles
- Excessive intake of sour and astringent rasa
- Excessive hunger
- Large amount of fermented food, alcoholic beverages or vinegar.
- Hot and humid weather.
Symptoms varies person to person. There are basically four episodes of this disorder which includes mania, depression, hypomania and mixed episodes. The symptoms are different in different episodes. The maniac phase of bipolar disorder includes feeling overjoyed, full of energy, full of new ideas, easy distractions, easily agitated. On other page, depressive phase in bipolar disorder includes feeling sad, hopeless, worthless, frustrated, anxious, appetite changes.
As per ayurveda, symptoms vary according to dosha. Symptoms such as excitement, over joyness, impulsiveness and frequent planning indicates increase in vata dosha whereas symptoms like aggression, irritability, sleep deprivation, over confidence and hyper activity indicates pitta aggravation and increase in kapha dosha includes symptoms such as low feeling, lack of enthusiasm, loss of appetite, excess sleeping.
Other common bipolar disorder symptom:
- Mood swings
- Delusion or hallucination
- Thoughts of death and suicide
- Feeling hopeless
- Sleep disturbance
MANAGEMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDER
There are many different ways of treatment for management of bipolar disorder. It includes counselling by psychologist along with the medication.
- Family should be very supportive , it is important for them to emphasize pleasant activities to keep the patient happy.
- Patient must stop driving
- Kitchen , bathroom and bedrooms need to be made safe for the patient.
- Communication is important
TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA
- healthy diet and lifestyle –diet is very important factor to maintain normal brain functioning and it is necessary for the patients to follow good healthy diet and lifestyle
- include more green vegetables and fruits in diet
- avoid spicy , salty and oily food in excess.
- Nuts (almonds , walnuts etc) are good for brain health.
- Avoid junk food
- Avoid vata increasing food items
- Include exercise in daily routine
- Sleep on proper time
- Do not stop natural urges
- Do yoga practice and meditation Limit alcohol
- Avoid spicy and sour food items.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat healthy seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Cow ghee is highly beneficial for the patient.
- Add healthy spices such as cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper garlic in your daily diet and strictly avoid red chilly, green chilly and garam masala.
- Limit caffeine intake
- Drink golden latte ( turmeric milk)
Panchkarma – it is one of the very important part of ayurvedic treatment , panchkarma therapy removes toxins from the body .
Vaman (by inducing vomiting using herbal medicines)
Virechna ( purgation therapy using herbal medicines)
Nasya (nasa drops) – teekshan nasya
These procedures can be done in treatment of psychiatric disorder
Other panchkarma activities like shiro dhara , shiro pichu , and shiro basti , can also be done and are effective in treating psychiatric disorders.
- Brahmi – it is one best known drug in treating neural disorders ,rich in anti-oxidants and having potential to prevent degeneration of brain cells , it increases memory and learning ability of the person , found effective in treating Alzheimer disease,bipolar , insomnia , epilepsy and other neurogenic disorders.
- Vacha – it is rich in anti-oxidants , having neuroprotective function , prevent degeneration of brain cells and improve brain functioning.
- Ashwagandha –it is known as nervine tonic , has brain calming effect , reduces stress and increases concentration power , it is having regenerative property .
- Shankpushpi – one of the common plant in India used as nervine tonic for improvement in memory and other cognitive functions , it calms the nerves by regulating stress hormone production in the body . possess anti-oxidant property as well.
- Jyotishmati- it having brain sharpening property , improves concentration , improves memory and rich in anti-oxidants.
- Jatamansi – it is having powerful anti-oxidant property and having property that increases learning and useful restoring memory in old persons and those suffering from dementia , delusions .
- Hingu – it is rich in anti-oxidants , helps to stimulate nervous system disorders like seizures and convulsions , it reduces headache , stress . it is also used as antidote for opium-induced hallucinations . It also pacifies vata and kapha dosha ,
These were the few of herbal drugs which can be used in management of bipolar and these drugs can be taken in any form either in the form of nasya (nasal drop) or in the form of decoction , tablets etc.
All the steps from dietary habit changes to medicinal treatment plays very important role in treating bipolar patient and has a very positive feedback.
We also provide treatment for psychosis which includes yoga meditation , panchkarma therapy and medication. For medication we provide two products MIND-CALM and AZ-CALM which has the composition of above mentioned drugs and other herbal drugs effective in treating bipolar. For more information