COPD is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in which there is obstruction of airway passage due to which difficulty in breathing occurs.
It is a group of progressive lung diseases , in which chronic bronchitis and emphysema are more common problems.
It is the inflammation of bronchial tubes, a condition where there is persistent cough with mucus for at least three months of the year for two or more consecutive years. People having chronic bronchitis suffer from COPD.
CAUSES OF CHRONIC BRONCHITIS
- Smoking is the most common reason
- Atmospheric pollution – incidence higher is urban areas
- Occupational – workers engaged in coal mills , plastic factories , coal mines are highly at risk of developing bronchitis due to constant exposure to the polluted environment
- Viral or bacterial infection
- Genetic factors
SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC BRONCHITIS
- Persistent cough which get worse in morning and winter season
- Yellow , green , blood streaked sputum
- Recurrent infection
- Highly sensitive to any smell
- Dyspnoea (shortness of breath )
- Cyanosis (bluishness )due to less oxygen so called as blue bloaters.
- Peripheral oedema (swelling on legs and feet)
- Prolonged expiration
It is the disease where air sacs (alveoli) are damaged due to weakening of inner wall of alveoli , normally when we breath alveoli expand and carbon dioxide , oxygen gas exchange takes place through inner wall of alveoli .
In case of emphysema the normal gas exchange gets alters which then lead to shortness of breath and develope COPD.
CAUSES OF EMPHYSEMA
- Air pollutants
- Genetic factor
- Age factor – mostly common at the age of 40 years
SYMPTOMS OF EMPHYSEMA
- Shortness of breath
- Mucus production
- Heaviness in chest
- No cyanosis called as pink puffer
- Speaks in short sentences
- Thin appearance
- Barrel chest
COPD IN AYURVEDA
According to ayurveda ,COPD is correlated with dushti of pranvah srotas (respiratory tract ) which happens due to vitiation of doshas.
Causes of COPD as per ayurveda
- Excessive intake of rajmah , mash .
- Eating aquatic meat
- Curd , milk , sweet in excess.
- Eating food over undigested food
- Irregular eating
- Exposure to dust , smoke and fumes.
- Residing in cold place
- Drinking cold water
- Over exertion
- Irregular sleeping patterns
- Injury to vital part
All these causative factors causes aggravation of vata and kapha dosha . aggaravated kapha will cause obstruction in channels (pranvah srotas) , mucus production and obesity whereas vata aggravation will cause chest pain , cough , thin appereance.
SYMPTOMS OF PRANAVAH SROTAS DUSHTI
- Kupit ( disturbed pattern of respiration
- Alpa-alpam (shortness of breath)
- Shashbdam sashulam (painful respiration )
- Atisristam –atibadhama (too long or too short respiration)
HOME REMEDIES FOR COPD
- Quit smoking
- Stay active
- Avoid heavy exertion
- Avoid exposure to cold environment
- Avoid curd , milk and sweet food items
- Use katu , lavana (salty) , ushna (hot ) food items.
- Eat vegetables like bitter gourd (karela) , bottle gourd ( gheeya) , methi , spinach .
- Avoid heavy pulses like mash daal and rajmah.
- Include pulses like moong , kulathi etc,.
- Avoid fried and sour food items .
- Do massage on chest and back with ghee mixed with sendha namak (Epsom salt) .
- do not suppress natural urges
- avoid fruits like banana
- avoid sleeping during day time
- do yoga and pranayam(breathing exercises ) to improve lung capacity
- meditation for stress management
- Use ginger and honey
- Luke warm haldi milk
- Avoid exposure to cold and polluted environment
- Steam inhalation
- Add tulsi leaves , ginger or kaali mirch in tea
TREATMENT FOR COPD IN AYURVEDA
As per ayurveda management of any disease mainly focuses on two this
- Nidaan parivarjan (life style and dietary habit modification)
Nidaan parivarjan involves change in life style and diet already mentioned obove in home remedies.
- Shodhan is the purification process in which panchkarama is performed .
Panckarma ( vaman , virechan , niruh basti and nasya ) therapy is done according to the season , time and strength of the patient .
It is one of the very effective method , Clears the pranvah srotas and balances dosha in the body
- Kantkari - it consist of disgenin , solamargine ,solanine etc, and according to ayurveda it pacifies kapha and vata dosha due to all these properties it is very usefull in bonchitis , asthma ,COPD and other respiratory problems.
- vasa – it is commonly called as vasa ,according to ayurveda it pacifies kapha and pitta dosha , and so it cures chronic respiratory disorders effectively
- yasthimadhu - it contains glycrrhizin , glycyrrhetinic acid , flavinoids. It is very effective in cough , cold , asthma ,COPD.
- tulsi - very commonly used by Indians as home remedy for cold due to its tremendous properties, helps in treating various respiratory disorders and also boost immunity.
- Vatasnabh - prevents formation and accumulation of mucus. It also helps in treating respiratory disorders like asthma , pacifies vata and kapha dosha.
- guduchi – used in allergic rhinitis , significantly decreases sneezing , nasal itching , discharge , stuffy nose and is an immuno booster.
- ginger - its anti-inflammatory properties keep the respiratory tract healthy. It relaxes airway muscles , and provide relief from asthma , COPD ,bronchitis.
- Pippali –it is having anti-inflammatory , anti-spasmodic , expectorant properties very effective in respiratory disorders.
- haritaki - it is very effective in cough ,coryza ,breathlessness. Having good anti-inflammatory properties , helps in reducing mucus , provide immunity to the body , having rejuvenating property as well .
- karkatshringi – this herb is good to resolve respiratory complications like dyspnoea, it act as expectorant that helps in clearing mucus from respiratory airway passages. It strengthens inner lining of alveoli . It is good to treat asthma , COPD and other respiratory problems.
COPD being progressive disease need proper management on time so as to avoid complications , because it can lead to heart failure as well as other serious problems.
Proper diet , life style modification and medication will prevent the complication of COPD and will effectively treat its root cause .
We also provide effective and complete management for COPD includes yoga meditation therapy , panchkarma therapy and medication .
Our products for management of COPD are AZ –Respicure , AZ-sinus and sino-heal .
COPD Healer Kit :
Our Price : $100/-