- Dementia is a syndrome – usually of a chronic or progressive nature – in which there is deterioration in cognitive function (i.e. the ability to process thought) beyond what might be expected from normal ageing.
- It affects memory, thinking, orientation, comprehension, calculation, learning capacity, language, and judgment. Consciousness is not affected.
- The impairment in cognitive function is commonly accompanied, and occasionally preceded, by deterioration in emotional control, social behavior, or motivation.
- Dementia is one of the major causes of disability and dependency among older people worldwide. It can be overwhelming, not only for the people who have it, but also for their carers and families
- The impact of dementia on carers, family and society at large can be physical, psychological, social and economic.
Causes of Dementia
Dementia is caused by damage to or loss of nerve cells and their connections in the brain. Depending on the area of the brain that’s damaged, dementia can affect people differently and cause different symptoms.
Degenerative neurological diseases. These include:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Huntington’s disease
- Some types of multiple sclerosis.
- These conditions affect the blood circulation in your brain.
- Traumatic brain injuries caused by car accidents, falls, concussions, etc.
- Infections of the central nervous system. These include meningitis, HIV, and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
- Long-time alcohol or drug use
- Certain types of hydrocephalus, a buildup of fluid in the brain
Some reversible causes of dementia include:
- Alcohol or substance use disorder
- Subdural hematomas, blood clots beneath the outer covering of the brain
- Normal-pressure hydrocephalus, a buildup of fluid in the brain
- Metabolic disorders such as a vitamin B12 deficiency
- Low levels of thyroid hormones, called hypothyroidism
- Low blood sugar, called hypoglycemia
- HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders (HAND)
- Dementia in your family
- Illnesses including diabetes, Down syndrome, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, and sleep apnea
- Smoking, heavy alcohol use, poor diet, and lack of exercise
- Brain injury
- Infection of the brain (for example, meningitis and syphilis)
Signs and symptoms
- losing track of the time
- becoming lost in familiar places.
- becoming forgetful of recent events and people’s names
- becoming lost at home
- having increasing difficulty with communication
- needing help with personal care
- experiencing behaviour changes, including wandering and repeated questioning.
- becoming unaware of the time and place
- having difficulty recognizing relatives and friends
- having an increasing need for assisted self-care
- having difficulty walking
- experiencing behaviour changes that may escalate and include aggression.
Treatment and care
- There is no treatment currently available in modern medicine to cure dementia or to alter its progressive course but in Ayurveda therapy as Rasayana drugs, Panchkarma (Yapna vasti, Shirodhara), Ayurveda describes about the Daily and Seasonal regimens and good conducts that should be followed by people to lead a Healthy life and prevention of condition like Dementia.
- Ayurvedic aspect: – Charaka has mentioned about Smrti as remembrances of things directly perceived, heard or experienced earlier. The memory goes astray due to the person being overcome by rajas and tamas. This state is explained as SmrtiBhramsha. He has mainly explained about Smrtinasha in Unmad and Apasmara.
The drug’s use in our classics are as follows-
- Brahmi – Bacopa monniera is bitter in taste; has been used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine for centuries. It is used in the n in the treatment of a number of disorders, particularly those involving anxiety, intellect and poor memory. Traditionally, it was used as a brain tonic to enhance memory development, learning, and concentration.
- Shankapuspi – Convolvulus pluricaulis: – Shankhapushpi is used as a brain tonic. It is one of the best and prominent natural medicines that help in improving memory. Its consumption also prevents memory loss.
- Mandookaparni – Centella asiatica : Rasa is Tikta, Vipaka is laghu, Virya– Shita , Karma- Rasayanam, medhyam, Prabhava- Rasayanam, medhyam.
- Jatamansi- Nardostachys jatamansi : Jatamansi is a natural brain nervine tonic and a memory enhancer, which has calming, peacefulness and relaxation features.
Our products: Ayurveda Yogashram provides a combination of 2 medicines to treat Dementia from root cause
1.Mind Calm 1-1-1
2.AZ Mind 2-0-2