Giving Your Health a New Lift
Placing both the feet on the ground by the side of the buttocks and keeping the body steady is Gomukhasana, resembling the mouth of a cow.
- Sit erect stretching both legs together in front, hands by the side, palm resting on the ground, fingers of the hands together.
- Fold right leg at the knee and place it on the ground by the side of the left buttock.
- Similarly bringing the left leg from above the right leg, place it on the ground by the side of the right buttock. out towards left and right side.
- Place the palms on the knee one above the other and sit erect.
- Or place the right palm above the left sole and left palm above the right sole, so that it will resemble the shape of a cow’s ear. Gaze in front.
- After some time return to the original position, afterwards practice it changing the position of the legs i.e. by placing the right knee above and the left knee down.
- To start with, first place the right leg by the side of the buttock the left above the right.
- Hips remain straight.
- One knee should remain just above the other knee.
- The practice of this asana removes pain in hips and lower extremeties.
- This helps in making the spine straight.
- This asana is very useful in arthritis and piles?(dry).
- This gives exercise to the lungs automatically.
- Those suffering from bleebing piles should not practise it.
- Stretches your hips, thighs, ankles and chest, shoulders, anterior deltoids, triceps, inner armpits and lats.
- Gomukhasana helps induce relaxation. When you feel tired, tense or worried, practicing Gomukhasana will help release the tension.
- Gomukhasana stimulates the kidneys.
- Gomukhasana is helpful in relieving ailments like diabetes, high blood pressure, and sexual malfunction.
- While practicing Gomukhasana the muscles of the lower back, buttocks and the knees are properly stretched so Gomukhasana is beneficial in backache, sciatica and rheumatism.
- Pelvic and reproductive organs are toned and massaged by regular practice of Gomukhasana.