Rapid performance of Recaka (exhalation) and Puraka (inhalation)like (emptying and filling up on of) the bellows of a blacksmith is Kapalabhati, well known as the destroyer of disorders caused by phlegm.
Note: This is one of the six cleansing processes of hathayoga.
This is related with the respiratory system
Spreading out comfortable `Asana` (sitting material like blanket, kusha, deer skin or towel), sit in Padmasana, Samasana, Svavtikasana, or in any comfortable posture. While doing kapalabhati, there is a chance of shakening the body with jerk hence sit firmly. As the bellows of the blacksmith draw air in or leaves air out with sound, so we have to practice inhaling through nostrils and exhaling forcibly soon, keeping our mouth closed. The navel region is drawn in during each exhalation and bulged out at the time of inhalation. This is to be practiced repeatedly, righty and rapidly. Here exhalation is given prominence, inhalation takes place automatically.
- Sit erct in Asana (Padamasana, Samasana,or in any comfortable Asanas) spreading out some sitting material.
- Put both hands on respective knees.
- Exhale forcibly through both the nostrils. Simultaneously abdomen will be drawn in.
- Soon after completing exhalation with jerk, take the breath in and bring the abdomen in previous position.
5 times. Each for 09-10 minutes. Later on increase the time up to 15-20 minutes maintaining the final position and reduce the repetitions.
- Remain composed while exhaling.
- Those having throat infection should exhale air touching it to the nostrils.
- Those having too much sneezing tendency, should practice it with contracted glottis producing sound as in ujjayi.
Not perform in diseases like
- Lumber Spondylitis
- Abdominal Problems
- Intestinal TB
- Stomach Ulcer
- Abdominal Hernia
Benefits and Limitations
- It is very effective in Weight Loss, Very helpful in reducing belly fat.
- This is very useful in asthma, cold and constipation.
- Liver and spleen are made strong and efficient through its practice.
- This makes respiratory rhythm constant.
- Those suffering from diabetes should not practice it.
- Those having complaint of ulcer or bile in abdomen should not practice it.