Pull back the abdomen above and below the navel. this is uddiyana bandha, it is like lion to the elephant for death. Note: Uddiyanabandha is enumerated as one of the three bandhas and ten mudras.
- Stand erect.
- Spread out the legs. the distance between two legs should be 15” to 18”.
- Lean forward, place hands on the thighs or knees and now exhale fully, hold the breath out.
- Expand the chest so that the abdomen would be drawn in and portion of the abdomen is being pulled towards the ribs.
- After pulling it completely maintain for 5-10-15-20 seconds (according to your capacity). now return.
- Now slowly relax the abdomen and stand erect after inhalation.
5 Times. Each for 09-10 Minutes. Later on increase the time up to 15-20 minutes maintaining the final position and reduce the repetitions.
- The waist should not lean much while bending forward.
- The chest should be expanded, shoulders bent a little.
- The legs should not be bent more at the knee.
- Do not keep the abdomen tight. let it relax.
- Exhale fully (completly).
- Always practise uddiyana on an empty stomach.
- It can be practised sitting in padamasana also.
DO NOT PERFORM IN DISEASES LIKE
- LUMBER SPONDYLITIS
- ABDOMINAL PROBLEMS
- INTESTINAL TB
- STOMACH ULCER
- ABDOMINAL HERNIA
Benefits and Limitations
- Remove constipation, invigorates digestion pressurises the navel plexes, and help to make retention of breath stable.
- Do not practise it if there is a complaint of headache.