COPD Treatment in Ayurveda
COPD TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA
COPD is a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in which there is obstruction of airway passage due to which difficulty in breathing occurs.
It is a group of progressive lung diseases, in which chronic bronchitis and emphysema are more common problems.
It is the inflammation of bronchial tubes, a condition where there is a persistent cough with mucus for at least three months of the year for two or more consecutive years. People having chronic bronchitis suffer from COPD.
CAUSES OF CHRONIC BRONCHITIS
- Smoking is the most common reason
- Atmospheric pollution – incidence higher in urban areas
- Occupational – workers engaged in coal mills, plastic factories, coal mines are highly at risk of developing bronchitis due to constant exposure to the polluted environment
- Viral or bacterial infection
- Genetic factors
SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC BRONCHITIS
- Persistent cough which gets worse in the morning and winter season
- Yellow, green, blood-streaked sputum
- Recurrent infection
- Highly sensitive to any smell
- Dyspnoea (shortness of breath )
- Cyanosis (bluishness )due to less oxygen so-called blue bloaters.
- Peripheral edema (swelling on legs and feet)
- Prolonged expiration
It is the disease where air sacs (alveoli) are damaged due to the weakening of the inner wall of alveoli, normally when we breathe alveoli expand and carbon dioxide, oxygen gas exchange takes place through the inner wall of alveoli.
In the case of emphysema, the normal gas exchange gets altered which then leads to shortness of breath and develop COPD.
CAUSES OF EMPHYSEMA
- Air pollutants
- Genetic factor
- Age factor – mostly common at the age of 40 years
SYMPTOMS OF EMPHYSEMA
- Shortness of breath
- Mucus production
- Heaviness in chest
- No cyanosis called a pink puffer
- Speaks in short sentences
- Thin appearance
- Barrel chest
COPD IN AYURVEDA
According to Ayurveda, COPD is correlated with dushti of pranvah srotas (respiratory tract ) which happens due to vitiation of doshas.
Causes of COPD as per ayurveda
- Excessive intake of rajma, mash.
- Eating aquatic meat
- Curd, milk, sweet in excess.
- Eating food over undigested food
- Irregular eating
- Exposure to dust, smoke, and fumes.
- Residing in a cold place
- Drinking cold water
- Irregular sleeping patterns
- Injury to a vital part
All these causative factors cause aggravation of Vata and Kapha dosha. aggravated Kapha will cause obstruction in channels (pranvah srotas) , mucus production, and obesity whereas Vata aggravation will cause chest pain, cough, thin appearance.
SYMPTOMS OF PRANAVAH SROTAS DUSHTI
- Kupit ( disturbed pattern of respiration
- Alpa-alpam (shortness of breath)
- Shashbdam sashulam (painful respiration )
- Atisristam –atibadhama (too long or too short respiration)
HOME REMEDIES FOR COPD
- Quit smoking
- Stay active
- Avoid heavy exertion
- Avoid exposure to cold environment
- Avoid curd, milk, and sweet food items
- Use katu , lavana (salty), ushna (hot ) food items.
- Eat vegetables like bitter gourd (karela), bottle gourd ( gheeya) , methi, spinach.
- Avoid heavy pulses like mash dal and rajma.
- Include pulses like moong, kulathi, etc,.
- Avoid fried and sour food items.
- Do massage on chest and back with ghee mixed with sendha namak (Epsom salt) .
- do not suppress natural urges
- avoid fruits like banana
- avoid sleeping during day time
- do yoga and pranayama(breathing exercises ) to improve lung capacity
- meditation for stress management
- Use ginger and honey
- Lukewarm Haldi milk
- Avoid exposure to cold and polluted environment
- Steam inhalation
- Add tulsi leaves, ginger, or kali mirch to tea
TREATMENT FOR COPD IN AYURVEDA
As per Ayurveda management of any disease mainly focuses on two this:
- Nidaan parivarjan (lifestyle and dietary habit modification)
Nidaan parivarjan involves a change in lifestyle and diet already mentioned above in home remedies.
- Shodhan is the purification process in which panchakarma is performed.
Panchakarma ( vaman , virechan , niruh Basti, and Nasya ) therapy is done according to the season, time, and strength of the patient.
It is one of the very effective method, Clears the pranvah srotas and balances dosha in the body
- tulsi – very commonly used by Indians as home remedy for cold due to its tremendous properties, helps in treating various respiratory disorders and also boost immunity.
- Vatasnabh – prevents formation and accumulation of mucus. It also helps in treating respiratory disorders like asthma , pacifies vata and kapha dosha.
- guduchi – used in allergic rhinitis , significantly decreases sneezing , nasal itching , discharge , stuffy nose and is an immuno booster.
- ginger – its anti-inflammatory properties keep the respiratory tract healthy. It relaxes airway muscles , and provide relief from asthma , COPD ,bronchitis.
- Pippali –it is having anti-inflammatory , anti-spasmodic, expectorant properties very effective in respiratory disorders.
- haritaki – it is very effective in cough, coryza, breathlessness. Having good anti-inflammatory properties helps in reducing mucus, providing immunity to the body, having rejuvenating properties as well.
karkatshringi – this herb is good to resolve respiratory complications like dyspnoea, it act as expectorant that helps in clearing mucus from respiratory airway passages. It strengthens inner
COPD being progressive disease need proper management on time so as to avoid complications , because it can lead to heart failure as well as other serious problems.
Proper diet , life style modification and medication will prevent the complication of COPD and will effectively treat its root cause.
We also provide effective and complete management for COPD includes yoga meditation therapy, panchakarma therapy, and medication.
Our products for the management of COPD are AZ –Respicure, AZ-sinus, and sino-heal.