Nerves acts as a messenger that carry electrical impulses between the brain and other parts of our body. When diabetes causes damage to these nerves, it is called diabetic neuropathy. It effects different types of nerves in your body including hands, feet, and arms.
Types of Diabetic Neuropathy
1) Peripheral neuropathy – It is the most common type of neuropathy and damage occurs to the nerves outside the brain and spinal cord. It affects the nerves particularly in the feet and hands.
2) Sensory neuropathy – damage to nerves that carry messages of touch, temperature, pain and other sensations from the skin.
- Burning and sharp pains
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of ability to feel pain
- Loss of ability to feel changes in temperature
3) Autonomic neuropathy – damage to the nerves that carry information to your organs and glands. Example -:
- gastric problem – bloating, constipation and diarrhea
- Bladder incontinency
- Problem with sweating (excess or less)
4) Motor neuropathy – affects to the nerves that motor control movement. Damage to these nerves leads to muscle weakness, twitching and cramps.
- High levels of sugar in the blood for prolonged time.
- High levels of triglycerides can also cause nerve damage
- Kidney and liver disorders
- Autoimmune disorders and infections
- Chronic alcoholism
- Pain and discomfort in arms, legs especially at night
- Disturbed sleep pattern
- Unable to feel sores or cuts
- Bloating and indigestion
- Heat intolerance
- Diarrhea and constipation
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Sexual function problems
Some important factors to prevent Diabetic Neuropathy
- Control blood sugar levels
- Keep cholesterol and triglyceride within normal range
- Manage blood pressure levels
- Lifestyle modifications, specifically diet and exercise
- Care for feet to prevent complications like foot ulcers
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
Home remedies for Diabetic Neuropathy
- Bitter gourd juice
- Whole grain foods – brown rice , whole wheat oatmeal
Herbs that help in management of diabetic neuropathy are –
- mahayograaj guggul
- chitrak mool
- agnitundi vati
These herbs helps in managing blood sugar level and prevent other organ damage by boosting up immunity. It also helps in relieving nervine pain and nervine weakness.