Ayurveda Yogashram: Nephrotic Syndrome Treatment - Natural Remedies
Nephrotic syndrome is a kidney disorder resulting in excess protein excretion through urine. This condition results in frothy urination.
The term “Nephrotic” refers to the nephrons that are the functional unit of the kidneys. The term “syndrome” means a group of symptoms that usually sets in and progresses together.
Kidneys play a vital role in filtering and regulating minerals and excess fluid from the blood, maintaining overall fluid balance, filtering medications and toxins, etc. Hence any alteration from the normal functioning leads to several symptoms, some irreversible too.
How can Nephrotic syndrome be identified?
Though there are several tests to measure and identify the functioning parameters, the following are the symptoms that a patient would experience.
- Foamy Urination. This would be evident by observing the urine excreted in the pot. Protein in the urine causes a white foam over the top usually compared to the foam over a glass of beer.
- Edema in the foot and ankles. Generally one observes an excess of fluid collection beneath the skin on touch. Edema also extends to the eye sockets and face. The face usually becomes moon-like.
- Sudden weight gain. This is due to excessive fluid collection in the body. The weight gain is very drastic.
- Fatigue. There will be unexplained tiredness even if the person is continuously on rest.
- Loss of appetite
- Pale and dry skin
- Abdominal pain/ back pain
Causes of Nephrotic Syndrome:
- Chronic diseases like Diabetic nephropathy, SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus), membranous nephropathy affecting the cell walls of the nephrons, and amyloidosis, a disease-causing excessive protein accumulation leads to Nephrotic syndrome.
- There are some strong NSAIDs (Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) and some steroids when taken for a long term leading to Nephrotic Syndrome.
- Certain infections can affect the nephron of kidneys like malaria, long-standing Hepatitis leading to Nephrotic Syndrome.
How can Nephrotic Syndrome be diagnosed?
- Urine tests: Revealing proteinuria.
- Blood tests: revealing hypoalbuminemia (low levels of proteins in the blood). Also revealing hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol levels in the blood).
- Sometimes, a kidney biopsy might be required.
How can Ayurveda help for Nephrotic Syndrome?
According to Ayurveda, the symptoms of nephrotic syndrome can be co-related to “Mutrasada”. This disease Mutrasada is mentioned in Ayurvedic texts as one among 13 types of Urinary disorders, where the consistency and urine of urine may appear foamy and like that of shank bhasma mixed in water.
Ayurvedic kidney treatment for Nephrotic Syndrome includes Aahar (diet), Vihar (lifestyle regimens), and aushadhi (medicinal formulations) to treat Nephrotic Syndrome.
According to Ayurvedic pathogenesis, the channels carrying urine from the kidneys, known as the Mutravaha srotas get obstructed and this blockage results in edema and other symptoms that weaken the kidneys.
Some useful Ayurvedic herbs for Nephrotic syndrome :
- Punarnava – Boerrhavia diffusa
- Gokshura – Tribulus terrestris
- Ushira – Vetiveria zizanioides
- Sariva – Hemidesmus indicus
- Chandana – Santalum alba
- Pashanabheda- Berginia ligulata
- Bala – Sida cordifolia
- Ikshu – Saccharum officinarum
- Durva – Cynodon dactylon
- Guduchi – Tinospora cordifolia
- Varuna – Crateva nurvala
Ayurvedic physicians recommend the following substances as wholesome for those suffering from Nephrotic Syndrome:
- Barley grain – barley can be taken as a porridge/ water boiled with barley is advised to be taken throughout the day.
- Sugarcane juice – For all patients except those with diabetes are advised Sugar cane juice.
- Warm water – Warm water detoxifies, cleanses the bladder and kidneys, and is highly recommended by Ayurvedic doctors.
- Raisins (dry grapes) or fresh grapes are recommended to be taken.
- Watermelon and other melon varieties like musk melon, cucumber, with good water content are beneficial to be taken.
- All types of gourds and squashes, especially ash gourds are highly beneficial in kidney and urinary disorders.
- The use of garlic is recommended for Nephrotic Syndrome.
- Protein intake – Limit protein intake to not more than 1g per kilogram body weight per day.
- Salt intake – Limit salt intake to not more than 400mg per wholemeal
Recommended lifestyle changes:
- Rest is advised.
- Patients are advised to avoid traveling especially on bumpy roads and so are quarreling and involved in physical fights.
- Heavy physical exertion/ weight lifting etc are to be avoided.
- Excess intake of dry and spicy food, pickles, and alcohol (and other frozen beverages) are completely contraindicated.
- Avoid all processed and packed food that contains sodium.
- Suppression of urine is absolutely contraindicated in this condition.
- Excessive intake of non-vegetarian food especially red meat that is very hard to digest is contra-indicated in this condition.
What happens if Nephrotic syndrome is not treated?
If Nephrotic Syndrome is not managed well, it might lead to the following complications:
- Poor nutrition: Excessive protein loss through leads to malnutrition in the body. There will be weight loss but will be masked by the general swelling in the body.
- The rise in triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
- High blood pressure.
- Acute Kidney Failure.
- Chronic Kidney Disease.
Herbal Capsules Alpha Care:
For kidney problems in which the blood urea and serum creatinine level is increased, this medicine is used to lower down these levels. Hence it is also used in all types of renal failure cases. In case of acute kidney failure, chronic kidney failure, glomerular nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, this medicine is used to increase the GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) of kidneys.
Herbal Capsules AZ Nephro:
Formulated with herbs like Punarnava, Varuna, kulth, Gokhru, pashanabhedh, devadaru, bhuiamla, chharila, jevanti, lajauni, motha and moti pishti helps is relieving edema, circulation of fluids and prevents infections. These herbs rejuvenates the kidneys.
Herbal Capsules- Detoxy:
- Our formulation detoxify is a blood purification formula.
- It helps to keep a clean colon and supports healthy liver and kidney functions.
- It is used as a blood purifier.
- Helps to maintain healthy blood circulation.
- Herbal healing for viral and bacterial skin eruptions.
- Helps skin to be Lustrous, smooth, and silky with a natural glow.
- Helps control wrinkles as an anti-aging.
- It increases metabolic rate so it helps in losing weight.
- It helps in normalizing all kidney functions.